Afghan people are strongly, and almost unanimously, in favor of reconciliation and reintegration. It is essential to establish a common basis through which to end armed conflict and to enable all Afghans to live together in peace. Afghan civil society has played a pivotal role in the social uplift process in Afghanistan and has contributed to the overall process of nation and state-building in the country. Taking into account the vital role that civil society must play in the peace process, the government of Afghanistan invites civil society to join it in determining how they can act on the national desire for peace.
"This call to action has formed the framework of Sola - which means Peace in pashto and dari- Yoga – Afghanistan (SYA)."
SYA is a peace initiative based on the ancient/ancestral science of Yoga and meditation.Through SYA, participants will develop the tools they need to control their feelings and temper negative emotions such as frustration, anger, hatred, and revenge.
Its objectives are as follows :
- To prepare the Afghan population for the withdrawal of the international troops that will take place by 2014.
- To help Afghans find inner peace, which will directly inform the emergence of outer peace throughout the country.
- To educate the self-leading members of the community on how to effectively and sustainably facilitate inner peace in others.
- To help Afghans attain greater health of their minds and bodies.
- To foster reintegration of depraved and damaged individuals into the community.
- To set in motion an educational model that will be sustainable over many years.